Sunday, December 15, 2013

1ST PART OF III: LEADING UP EVENTS

I decided to write about the events leading up to finding out that Liam's heart stopped, so the 2ND PART OF III won't be confusing. (Please feel free to ask any clarifying questions if you have any!) 

ANATOMY SCAN: At 19 weeks I had my anatomy scan, (5 months – also where I found out my baby was a boy!!!) they made sure baby was growing heathy and properly, but Liam wasn't facing forward so it was difficult to see Liams' heart/lip. I was schedule for a follow up scan when I would be 26 weeks (almost 7 months) so my OB could properly get a better view of the front side of Liam. (if he would be cooperative this time ;)

REGULAR OB VISIT: At my 22 week (6 months) check up, my OB looked at my ultrasound pictures for the previous scan and said Liam was healthy and growing properly! He didn't see any concerns but would still want to have the follow up scan to see the front side of Liam. I was so relieved because I so worried something was wrong, a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. 

WHEN I FELT SOMETHING WAS WRONG: 
Around 24 weeks (6 months) Liam wasn't moving as much as he usually did, and I felt totally off about it. (A mother's instinct is real & crazy!) I voiced my concerns to my mom and she said babies have off days and when they're growing they can be less active, so I pushed my uneasy feeling to the side. (I was 24 weeks when I felt something was off, which was two weeks before I found out Liam's heart stopped.)

THE NIGHT BEFORE FINDING OUT: 
I was trying to get Liam to move before I went to bed by playing some music, usually that gets him to wiggle around but that night it was difficult to get him to move. I pushed him around to see if that'd help but he was not having it and was barely moving. I gave up and went to bed. As I lay there drifting off to sleep, he gave me a huge kick and then went still. (Of course he'd kick me while I was about to sleep, waking me up. Ha typical!) 

THAT DAY OF FINDING OUT: 
I awoke in a hurry to get ready for school, not paying attention to small details that where happening around me or in me. Gym was my first period so I wasn't focusing on Liam's movements since I was focusing on not dying as I was on the treadmill. That day everyone started really noticing my baby bump, I had people touch my now very noticeable bump and just saying how cute it was. As I got to my second period of the day, I finally settled down and focused on Liam. I started to notice that Liam wasn't moving or hadn't moved all morning, I started to worry. Usually he would be kicking up a storm while my loud obnoxious teacher was talking, but not today.  
I told my mom I hadn't felt him move ALL day and she said it's typical but I told her even on his rest days he'd move a little and today there was nothing, I was freaking out on the inside. I had my follow up scan that evening, I was so excited to see my little man and if there was anything wrong I'd find out then, so I was little more at ease.  

To be continued.... 

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh. I cannot imagine. I think I would be just as freaked out too. oh my goodness. I just want to give you a hug right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story. It's powerful. And also, go you for going to high school through all this girl! And also again, mother's instinct is real. I have no babies, but I have a mother, and it's kinda scary sometimes the things she knows! Also, please excuse my really bad grammar in this comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts are welcome